Friday, May 7, 2010

Empty Nest


She's gone and the eggs too. The fierce winds of yesterday? A crow? Did she leave to eat and something swoop down on her undefended charges? Something drove her from the nest and took her babies too. I spotted it when I got home from work yesterday and it felt like a punch in the stomach. I felt the weight of the loss, a tightening in my throat, a hurried calculus to balance missing her with the reminder that Nature doesn't play.

Searching for the meaning, the omen, the clues, wondering if God had decided to renege on the blessing. The way I see it, the bird in the nest had brought my daughter back into my life after a painful estrangement, we were able to connect again around the magic of the little bird in my back yard. It gave a graceful space for the two of us to reconcile, to continue our relationship with new rules of engagement. A Mother's Day gift if there ever was one.

Still, the sudden disappearance of the hummingbird was a hefty price to pay.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe Nana was there to help you both when you needed her.